Monday, July 19, 2010

Dolls

I'm totally IN LOVE with Toy Story 3. So far I've seen it three times and of course it's better every time. But after seeing it, like everybody else, I had to go and get out what is left of my childhood toys. Mostly Disney and Barbie dolls, along with some plush, three American Girls and a Bitty Baby. I already had all of my Disney dolls on a shelf in my closet, so I've been looking at them first.

Most of them are getting up there in age - I think the oldest is a Belle from BatB which is from 1991, and the youngest is Giselle from Enchanted, which is from 2007. Anyway, the rest of the dolls are in between there, but most are from the 90s. I got them all out and started looking them over and I noticed some smudges on faces and hair starting to get a bit dodgy.

Last Thursday I had nothing to do all day, so I devoted most of the day so care and maintenance of my old dolls. Most just needed a little facial cleaning, to get off some smudges around the chin and jawline area, so I washed all of their faces and then smoothed out everyone's hair, got rid of dust, and straightened out their clothes.

There were three though that needed some extra treatment, so I tried out a Barbie hair-restoring technique to get the frizz out and anything where the hair was damaged. One Barbie, Li Shang from Mulan, and Pocahontas all got hair makeovers, and here's a photo of the before, during, and finished product of Shang's hair. I looked up a photo of the original new doll and then I did my best to recreate the style. Not bad! Click to view larger.

I have some older pics of my dolls - last year, before maintenance and upkeep this month - on my Flickr account: disneyprincesstobe if you want to see any of them. I don't have pics of the ones who had hair makeovers yet because I'm not quite finished with the girls yet. :)

I've ordered some new Disney dolls off of DisneyStore.com because they were on sale - 2 for $20 and some were really cute! They had all of the princes except for the Beast, which is a huge bummer because he's my favorite and my Belle doll never had her prince! So I'm hoping they come out with one before too long.

I also saw that they're starting to introduce some toys from Tangled, and I saw the Rapunzel doll. Looks cute, but I really want a Flynn Rider doll! As long as he has dramatic eyebrows like the trailer shows. :)

I found out that collecting dolls can actually be super good for $$ in the future, depending on which dolls you have. Not that I plan on selling any, but sometimes the expensive ones get sold for super low prices so I look into them then. Like the Jane Porter doll from Tarzan, Giselle from Enchanted, or Megara and Esmeralda. I was lucky enough to find Jane and Giselle for about $15 each on eBay last year, which is less than 1/2 of the usual price for new NRFB dolls. I had the Jane doll when I was little, but I think it got sold in a lawn sale :'( But I have one now.

Here's some doll pics from Flickr that I find cute:

I'm not the biggest Snow White fan, but her dress is so pretty esp with the more voluminous skirt and the prince in the background is too cute.

I LOVE this! LOL especially Snow White, because she would never go bikini poolside. :P
This Tiana doll is GORGEOUS. I don't like any of the other Tiana dolls out there, but this one is amazing.

I just love the little pose these two are in! It's so sweet. :)

Ok, so a random picture...drawing by Brianna Garcia from DeviantArt. It's Tinkerbell and her little teapot home! Brianna is so talented!

2 comments:

  1. gee, I didn't know you liked Toy Story 3 *sarcastic*

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg! i have to find my barbies!! When i was super young and had a BUNCH of barbies i pulled their heads off XD I still have Jane in great condition!! If i knew you earlier than i probably would have given it to you.
    Since I'm moving. I will be selling TONS of things. lol I rather sell them to people who i am confident will take care of them. *hint* lol

    ReplyDelete